Committees & Teams
Goal of Position
The Membership Committee of Unitarian Universalist Church West exists to create an atmosphere which encourages persons to become church members and continue their membership through participation in all aspects of church life.
- Welcomes visitors and guests by coordinating greeters, staffing the visitor table in the foyer each Sunday and in casual conversation during coffee each week
- Facilitates the process of individuals becoming UUCW members, assists the minsters in conducting UU orientation classes four times each year
- Assists new members in becoming integrated in the church community, planning New Member Sunday and New Member Potluck Dinners
- Facilitates retention of UUCW members, conducts Interest and Talent Survey
- Committee Membership - Ideally for at least two years to become fully aware of and experience each opportunity for participation. Members are welcomed for shorter commitments as well. Committee meetings are monthly and typically last two hours. Members are asked to plan and participate in Orientation, new Member Sundays and New Member Potluck Dinners, as well as to staff the visitor table. Members are free to choose which of these activities are right for them, given their interests and skills.
- Assistance at visitor table – UUCW members wishing to assist staffing the visitor table but unable to commit to full committee membership are most welcome! We would provide information on scheduling and individuals can choose which Sundays to assist based on their personal availability.
- A friendly smile and warm handshake!
- Commitment to creating and maintaining a welcoming environment for all
- Ability and willingness to participate in New Member activities listed above
- Regular attendance and interest in the life of the church
- Willingness to engage others in conversation and interaction is helpful
Assistant Minister for Membership
- Fun meetings!
- Deeper involvement with the church and the ministers
- Opportunity to express creativity as we promote UUCW to the greater Milwaukee community
- Satisfaction in assisting seekers find their place at UUCW
- Helping to create and promote community within the church