Unitarian Universalist Church West
13001 W. North Ave., Brookfield, WI 53005 (262) 782-3535
Applications are being accepted at firstname.lastname@example.org until June 20, 2018.
Position Title: Community Builder, Part-Time (2018)
Reports to: Minister
Collaborative Relationships: Religious Education Coordinator, Intern Minister, Church Administrator, Music Directors, Religious Education Council, Publications Coordinator
FLSA Status: Part-Time (20 hrs/wk), Non-exempt
Work Schedule: 20 hours per week; includes most Sunday mornings and some evenings
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter and references to email@example.com APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 20, 2018
Summary Description: The Community Builder assists with engagement and retention of church members and visitors. The position requires a dependable presence on most Sunday mornings year-round, and some evening meetings. The position is part-time, salary DOE and in keeping with Unitarian Universalist Association compensation guidelines.
Membership: With warmth and a positive attitude, implements membership procedures while seeking innovative and sustainable ways to strengthen our outreach, welcome, and membership integration.
- Serves as the first face of UUCW on Sundays: Creates a welcoming atmosphere, identifies and welcomes visitors.
- Trains and supervises ushers and other volunteers to create an engaging, friendly, and safe Sunday morning experience for everyone.
- Implements strategies to follow up with visitors and to invite newcomers into deeper engagement with the congregation.
- Provides staff support for the work of the Membership Team.
- Data entry including weekly visitor information, pledge payments, new member information, attendance statistics.
- Track community matters and prepare regular reports.
- Provide Interest and Talent reports from database as requested by some committee leaders.
- Engages with new visitors, new members, and ongoing members, connecting them to areas of interest and service in the church.
- Supports an anti-racist, anti-oppressive culture within the congregation.
- Finds opportunities to do outreach about UUCW to the wider community, in collaboration with the Minister(s) and Marketing Team.
Small Groups, Caring, and Congregational Life Activities: Nurtures programs that create a vibrant and inspiring community by helping people connect and grow within the larger congregation.
- With the RE Coordinator, supports the ongoing Affinity Groups and Soul Matters groups as well as other small group programs.
- Works with CommUUnity Connections Team to ensure that tangible care needs of church members are addressed.
- Supports pastoral care delivery systems
- Provides administrative support for congregational life activities like potlucks, concerts, film nights, etc.
- Assists in preparations for multiple events and services throughout the year which may include evening and weekend hours.
Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of, and commitment to, Unitarian Universalist values and principles
Able to work independently and collaboratively
Effective interpersonal skills; communicates a sense of warmth and approachability; creates an environment that others want to participate in
Able to maintain appropriate boundaries and navigate conflict with maturity and tact
Able to connect with people of diverse ages, backgrounds, gender expressions, identities, and abilities, with an awareness of how issues of justice and equity impact our community.
Proficiency with email, social media, Microsoft Word, and Excel; ability to work with church database. Proficiency with PowerPoint a plus
Selected candidate must pass a background check prior to starting employment
Ability to plan, monitor, and evaluate programs and events
BA or BS degree
Excellent administrative and organizational skills
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Ability to work collaboratively and build relationships with people of varying ages, sexual orientations and gender identities, backgrounds, and abilities
Respect for a wide range of beliefs
Ability to handle complex and sensitive pastoral and managerial concerns with care and confidentiality
Innovation – Job requires creativity and alternative thinking to develop new ideas for and answers to work-related problems
Ability to work most Sundays in a month and on occasional holidays
Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time;
Ability to lift up to 25 pounds to shoulder height and 50 pounds to waist height;
Ability to bend, stoop, kneel, climb stairs, walk, and reach overhead
Must be able to verbally communicate with the use of a telephone and be clearly understood
Able to utilize a keyboard
Must be able to travel as required, and have a valid driver’s license