Kurt Gaetano, UUCW President
I want to thank all of you for your participation in our “Activate!” Pledge Drive. We had good attendance at our two events and we are well on our way to our goal of raising $472,000 for the 2018-2019 fiscal year.
In the past I have sometimes wondered “Why do we need this much money” and “Where is it all going?” I am involved in a number of things at UUCW, but it is only a small subset of the activities and services that are provided on a regular basis. This is by no means a complete list, but UUCW currently puts resources into:
- Build 2020 Project — doing renovations, improvements, and preparing UUCW for the future
- Religious Education Programs — guiding our children in their search for truth and meaning
- Adult Faith Development — programs for adult spiritual and personal development
- Young Adult Ministry — helping our young adults find spirituality, friendship, and purpose
- UUCW support for the River West Food Pantry
- UUCW support for the Guest House men’s shelter
- “Split the Plate” initiatives to support positive organizations in the greater Milwaukee area
- Support for Common Ground — we partner with Common Ground and support their efforts to do positive things in the Milwaukee area
- Black Lives Matter — Social Action Group for combatting racism and oppression
- Supporting DUUversity Theater — dramatic & musical productions to support diversity in the Milwaukee area
- Meditation Group — shared meditation to support your own spiritual practice
- Tap Roots: A Pub Spirituality Group — off-site group discussions of culture and pondering life’s questions over a few beers at a local pub
- UUCW Adult Choir — an opportunity to realize your inner musical aspirations under expert guidance!
- Special Music Services and Programs — Kaleidoscope Band, multi-generational & children’s choirs for holidays, and performances by other musical guests
- Ecological Programs and Support — Earth day activities, an Annual River cleanup in association with Milwaukee Riverkeepers, the Waukesha Green Team, and other organizations
- Wisdom & Whimsy — a group for mature members and friends of UUCW to meet with other seasoned elders for fun, fellowship and other activities
The list goes on and on. There are many other programs and services that I have not mentioned. I hope you are able to take advantage of at least some of these programs. If you are not, you should. UUCW strives to provide programs and opportunities to serve the needs of our congregation, and also to provide support for organizations beyond our walls that provide services to the greater community that are in line with our UU beliefs and values.
Some of these services don’t take a lot of direct funding, but some do. Most of these take time, staff support, and some amount of resources to put together and manage. This is all in addition to providing the regular Sunday services and running and maintaining the building and grounds.
You should be proud of the programs and organizations your pledge dollars are supporting and feel good about where your money is going. We are making a difference here at home and helping to make the world outside our walls a better place for everyone to live in.
Contact Kurt and the Board of Trustees via the church office.