An Earth Ministry message from Karen Zimmerman
This article is part two of a multiple-part series highlighting environmental organizations that Earth Ministry utilizes for educational purposes and guiding our actions. These organizations explicitly focus on an equity, diversity or environmental justice lens in their work. If you are a member of another environmental organization, just let me know and we will highlight it.
As we near the holiday gift-giving season, EM urges members to look at alternative gift-giving. This form of giving is often used as an alternative to consumerism and to mitigate the impact of gift-giving on the environment. Alternative giving is a form of gift giving where the giver makes a donation to a charitable organization on the gift recipient’s behalf instead of giving them an item. Perhaps you will donate money to the organizations or take some action as a gift to someone on your list!
Wisconsin Conservation Voters https://conservationvoters.org/
Wisconsin Conservation Voters engage voters to protect Wisconsin’s environment. To achieve a healthy beautiful Wisconsin for all to enjoy forever, WCV advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-conservation candidates who will champion our priority issues.
“Do not abandon hope – climate solutions are possible. We cannot improve the climate crisis — or live healthy, prosperous lives — without bold climate action from our representatives at every level of government. But that takes your voice.” Kerry Schumann, Executive Director
WCV is working to create a sustainable and equitable future for Wisconsin’s future generations. These campaigns offer specific, effective actions that you can take right now to advocate for clean energy, safe drinking water, and a healthy democracy:
- PFAS (the dangerous forever chemicals threatening our health)– working towards a solution that puts impacted people before corporations.
- Biden’s Affordable Clean Energy Plan – advocating for large investment in clean energy
- Democracy for All -committing to shifting power to individuals and communities by making voting more accessible to all.
You can take action:
- Go to https://conservationvoters.org/action-alerts and click on the take action button to contact legislators or sign petitions.
- Be an informed voter. Join WCV and get updates on voting records of legislators on environmental issues: https://conservationvoters.org/become-a-member
- Make a contribution to protect Wisconsin’s environment: https://conservationvoters.org/donate
For more information, contact Karen Zimmerman.