Exploring Darkness and Light…and our Resistance to the Unknown
We tend to have an ambiguous relationship with the unknown. It can scare and attract us at the same time. Yet even while we sense the Spirit drawing us into the unknown, we resist. We may stay where we are comfortable rather than pursuing something new, whether it is a job, a faith community, or a relationship.
Through the lens of darkness and light, participants will be invited to explore their own resistance to the unknown and engage in spiritual practices that allow them to move into that place with gentleness and grace. These practices involve being present with compassion. Biospiritual Focusing encourages actively listening to the body’s language. The Examen of Consciousness seeks to notice the presence of the Divine in daily life. Finding the Feeling and Three Breaths at a Time are practices that involve attending to feelings and the breath. Participants can then choose to use these spiritual practices in their own journeys.
- Authored & facilitated by Betsy Gonwa, certified Spiritual Director
- Three-session Workshop/Retreat – Fri, Feb 10 (6:30-9 pm), Sat, Feb 11 (9 am-noon) and Sat, Feb 25 (9 am-noon)
- NOTE: Sat, Mar 4 is being held as a make-up date in case of inclement weather. (The alternative of meeting online via Zoom will be discussed at the first session.)
Be prepared to engage in your own story as Betsy shares her training and life experience, and draws on the works of scientists, mystics, musicians, and present-day authors. Betsy last led a workshop at UUCW for couples in 2017. To learn more about her and her work, see her website: https://listeningspacemke.com
This workshop’s themes:
- Resistance to the Mystery of the Unknown
- The Power of Love
- Befriending the Dark
- Finding the Light in the Darkness and Moving toward the Light
Come learn how to befriend the darkness and gracefully move into new or unfamiliar territory. Sign up now (to the right) — space is limited; onsite childcare is possible. Financial assistance available. (Contact Dave Cicero, UUCW Dir. of Lifespan Religious Ed. for details.)
- $32: Active Member of UUCW (or another UU congregation)
- $48: Associate/Friend (or equivalent) of a UU congregation
- $60: General (no UU affiliation)