Charge to the Ministerial Search Team
We, the members of Unitarian Universalist Church West, do hereby charge you, the members of our Ministerial Search Team, to carry out the search for our settled minister.
We acknowledge that the search process requires the congregation to engage in the emotional process of change and to move toward a new future together.
We promise to be patient and to understand the need for fairness and confidentiality throughout the search process.
With gratitude for the task you have undertaken, we offer you our full support and pledge to participate, to the best of our ability, in the opportunities the Ministerial Search Team provides for us to voice our individual thoughts about the future of the congregation and the gifts and talents of the settled minister.
And so, we call on you to represent, to the best of your ability, our entire congregation, including the children and teenagers, and our vision for the future of this beloved community.
Acceptance of the Charge
We, the members of the Ministerial Search Team of UUCW, are honored to have been chosen to represent you in the search for our next settled minister.
We recognize, both as a group and individually, that we represent the face of our congregation and community in the ministerial search process.
We accept your charge and we will endeavor, to the best of our ability, to represent the vision for the future of our beloved community, including the children and teenagers in our congregation.
We commit ourselves to keeping you informed about our process to the extent allowed, to listening deeply, and, above all, to being worthy of the responsibility with which you have entrusted us.
We covenant to conduct an inclusive search process and to represent our congregation and its members with honesty, care, compassion, and respect as we engage in this challenging and vital work.
As we seek our next minister, engaging in this challenging and vital work,
- Represent our congregation and its members with honesty, care, compassion, and respect;
- Abide by the UUA and UUMA Rules;
- Be candid with our application about UUCW’s challenges and history;
- Cherish the unique gifts, perspectives, identities, and approaches of the Team members, extending grace and support to one another;
- Wholeheartedly listen to one another and others’ viewpoints;
- Be candid with each other and say what we think, and when conflict arises, we will be respectful and approach conflict as a chance for growth and deeper relationship;
- We will treat feedback and critique of our behavior as a sign of trust, courage and accountability and be open to compromise and change;
- When we cause harm, we commit to deep listening and repair, putting aside defensiveness and denial with restoration as our goal;
- Include all Team members in our decision-making processes;
- Conduct substantive discernment conversations as a whole group, with no side conversations;
- Take care of ourselves as individuals and as a group and honor our needs for self and community care;
- Commit to an inclusive search process, recognizing the unique gifts and identities of ministers;
- Pay attention and continue to learn to be truly inclusive and anti-racist;
- Treat applicants and each other with fairness, respect, and compassion;
- Understand the need for fairness and confidentiality throughout the search process
- Strive for transparency and keep the congregation and applicants informed; and
- Speak with one voice once decisions are made.