UU Church West’s “Split the Plate” program is one of outreach and generosity. Each month we give half of all undesignated offerings to a non-profit organization, to help us live our Unitarian Universalist values and serve our community.
Our Split the Plate partner for January is The Women’s Center (TWC), located in Waukesha, whose mission is to provide safety and support to all persons impacted by domestic abuse, sexual violence, child abuse, and trafficking.
Founded in 1977, and as Waukesha County’s only agency of its kind in a county that spans 580 square miles, TWC provides a range of life-saving and life-changing programs and services that heal and empower adults and children on their paths to build a future free from violence.
The Women’s Center’s core philosophy is to ensure that the needs of survivors are met, that children are protected and that families heal. Their programs are centered on meeting the unique needs of each client and are designed to empower while providing basic needs (food, shelter, clothing, and transportation).
All of TWC’s services are offered confidentially and at no cost to survivors from all socio-economic levels. Those services include:
- emergency shelter and a 24-Hour Hotline;
- one-to-one counseling for victims of domestic violence and sexual abuse;
- legal advocacy;
- transitional living and housing assistance;
- community education and violence prevention;
- rape crisis response;
- and employment coaching and life-skills development
- translation/interpretation in any language
- and free on-site childcare for clients.
The Women’s Center welcomes and serves survivors of all ages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, abilities, nationalities, and immigration status, recognizing that their unique experience informs the perspective of each person.
To help support The Women’s Center, you can:
- Go to the UUCW website’s “Donate” tab and select “Split the Plate” from the menu provided.
- Or text your donation to 73256
- Or mail your donation to UUCW, 13001 W. North Ave., Brookfield WI 53005-5219
For more information about Split the Plate, contact Kathy Herrewig.