UUCW Congregants interested in joining the UUCW Anti-Racism Transformation Team should submit a brief paragraph outlining their commitment, intentions, and background for this work. Paragraphs can be submitted via email to Jeanne Jarecki by the end of the day on Friday 1/22/2021. The Board of Trustees will review the paragraphs on 1/28/2021 and respond to interested persons no later than 2/12/2021.
SUMMARY: The UUCW Board of Trustees charges the Anti-Racist Transformation Team to assess UUCW’s congregational practices and structure and provide recommendations to the Board to support the motions passed by the congregation on 10.25.2020.
Motion #1: UUCW supports the addition of an 8th Principle to the current UUA Principles calling for “Journeying toward spiritual wholeness by working to build a diverse multicultural Beloved Community by our actions that accountably dismantle racism and other oppressions in ourselves and our institutions.”
Motion #2: UUCW will continue the commitment we made in Jan. 2016 to support Black Lives Matter by engaging in an on-going examination and dismantling of white supremacy culture within our congregation with the goal of becoming a more inclusive and welcoming congregation.
Members of the Anti-Racism Transformation Team will commit to:
- Initially serve a term of 2 years on the Team
- Attend and participate in anti-racism training such as Beloved Conversations
- Learn about the racial dynamics of power systems and institutional structures on an ongoing basis
The UUCW Board of Trustee charges the Anti-Racist Transformation Team to:
- Learn to function as an effective, relational, covenanted Leadership Team. Timeframe: Within 3 Months and ongoing.
- Developing vision and mission statements to guide its work with the goal to build a diverse multicultural Beloved Community. Timeframe: Within 4 Months
- Carrying out a participatory process of assessing the congregation, leadership, programs, committees, teams, ministry, religious education, and community affiliations that highlight successes as well as necessary improvements that lead to specific recommendations to the Board of Trustees for short and long terms structural improvements to accomplish the overall goal. Timeframe: Within 12-16 Months
- Providing a recommendation to the Board of Trustees for the on-going structure and work of the Anti-Racism Transformation Team that continues the processes of dismantling white supremacy culture at UUCW. Timeframe: Within 24 Months
- Collaborate with the Board of Trustees to Budget and or request for resources required to carry out the charge. Timeframe: Ongoing
Composition of the Anti-Racist Transformation Team:
- Comprised of 7-9 congregants, including 2 board members and/or a board liaison: with UUCW minister and staff as consultants to the process on an as-needed basis.
- This charge will be shared via UUCW social media and e-news and communicated to the congregation during a January service.
- Congregants interested in joining the team will be asked to submit a brief paragraph outlining their commitment, intentions, and background for this work.
- The Anti-Racist Transformation Team will be appointed by the Board of Trustees at the January meeting and will be commissioned by the congregation during service no later than February 28th of 2021.