UU Church West’s “Split the Plate” program is one of outreach and generosity. Each month we give half of all undesignated offerings to a non-profit organization, to help us live our Unitarian Universalist values and serve our community.
Our Split the Plate partner for December is Allies for Teens in Foster Care. Allies for Teens in Foster Care was started to address the appalling statistics related to kids most in need of care from the community.
- 12 – The age some kids can enter most group homes
- 630 – The number of 13 -18-year-olds in foster care in Milwaukee County
- 49 – The number of group homes in Milwaukee County
- 70% – Percent of female foster youth pregnant by age 21
- 50% – Percent of youth who age out of foster care develop substance abuse problems
- 25% – Percent of youth aging out of foster care without a high school degree
Allies believes the community would better help these vulnerable, talented kids if they knew how. Allies strives to be a bridge from the resources in the community to the teens and adult caregivers who desperately need them. For more information about Allies for Teens in Foster Care, go to their website at alliesforteens.org. To help support Allies for Teens in Foster Care , you can:
- Go to the UUCW website’s “Donate” tab and select “Split the Plate” from the menu provided.
- Or text your donation to 73256.
- Or mail your donation to UUCW, 13001 W. North Ave., Brookfield WI 53005-5219
Holiday Giving Tree
While the YRUU youth will be presenting the Split the Plate segment in December’s Sunday services, the Middle and Elementary School youth decorated the Holiday Giving Tree in the East Foyer. Visit the tree to see how you can support the foster youth. Please take an ornament tag that lists the items most appreciated by teens in foster care. After purchasing an item, return it to the large box under the tree. The deadline for bringing gifts for Allies for Teens in Foster Care is Sunday, Dec 10. If you didn’t take a tree tag, look below for a list of the items most appreciated by the teens. Gift items brought to the church after the deadline will still be distributed to the teens, just not in time before Christmas. Items will be distributed to Milwaukee area teens by Allies for Teens in Foster Care.
Suitcase / Travel bag
Thank you for being an ally to teens in foster care.
For more information about Split the Plate, contact Kathy Herrewig.