UU Church West’s “Split the Plate” program is one of outreach and generosity. Each month we give half of all undesignated offerings to a non-profit organization, to help us live out our Unitarian Universalist values and serve our community.
Our Split the Plate partner for February is Literacy Services of Wisconsin.
It is nearly impossible to have a productive and fulfilling life without basic literacy. Studies show that 15% of Wisconsin residents are reading at or below a third-grade level. In Waukesha, that figure is slightly lower at 8%. In Milwaukee, it is closer to 25%. Clearly, the need is great.
Literacy Services of Wisconsin has programs to help people in many different ways.
- Adults who want to improve their reading and spelling skills find help in the one-on-one lessons offered by the Adult Basic Education
- Students from non-English speaking backgrounds find help with reading, writing, spelling, and verbal English skills through the English Language Learning program.
- Students who want to prepare for taking the GED or similar tests find the help they need in the Adult Secondary Education Advanced Instruction
And you have different ways to help support Literacy Services of Wisconsin.
- Go to the UUCW website’s “Donate” tab and select “Split the Plate” from the menu provided.
- Text “UUCW” to 73256
- Mail your donation to UUCW, 13001 W. North Ave., Brookfield WI 53005-5219
For more information about Literacy Services of Wisconsin, visit their website at ismonline.org. For more information about Split the Plate, contact Kathy Herrewig.